June 1, 2013

imbalance


status:
i stumbled at this
erm. one task at one time, full dedication.

i found this:

Salam :) how does one deal with jealously ? Not about material but their intelligence. For example , I study a lot and only get C's whereas a person who barely studies gets an A. I know Allah (swt) has gave each individual their own unique mind and capability but I can't help but feel down whenever they talk about marks and so on. Should I spend my lunch times at the school library to increase my knowledge instead of feeling jealous of my friends that I hang out with? Thank u x

Salaam friend,
This reminds me of something I’m particularly going through right now. One of my guy friends from my English courses is a really brilliant kid, but he’s extremely out of the loop in all of the classes we take together. Meaning like, he has no idea what’s going on in our classes or when things are due. So he constantly asks me to remind him what is due when and how we need to do it (which I find particularly irresponsible, but I deal with it because he’s my classmate).
But it’s so interesting because I would be working on one of our papers two weeks in advance and get a B+ while he will work on the same paper the night before and get an A on it. Of course this is going to make anyone feel bad. And it doesn’t help that he shoves it in my face and tells me how good he did on the paper while he knows that I spent more time and preparation than he did.
But you know what I told myself? People are different. We all are. We study differently. We prepare differently. We invest our time in different areas of our life. And you know what? I’m proud that I was honest with my work, spent time with it, and still got a lower grade than someone who wasn’t even engaged in the work but got a higher grade than me.
Do not let it bother you; I try to let it go on a daily basis (because it happens all the time). And you know what’s ironic, anyway? At the end of the semester, we both got an A- in the class.
So don’t invest your energy and time in being jealous or irritated by someone else. Let them do whatever they figure is best, but spend more time with yourself by studying different study methods you can implement for future papers and exams.
Keep your chin up! — Dee.